to Laura Volpintesta’s Freedom Fashion Signature Fashion Program, the unique offering where you can access every one of my entire suite of fashion design and illustration courses with lifetime access to customize your own journey and complete your portfolio.
This platform is where your work speaks for itself. You don’t leave with ” a piece of paper”, you finish with PROOF through your own works and creations that are vibrant and full of thoughtful, heartful design. Where art and design meet..
Are you ready?
to go from “I can’t draw” to knowing you know how and have practiced, experienced and embodied all of the tools and techniques you need to sketch and illustrate your original ideas and fashion designs?
I KNOW IT’S POSSIBLE BECAUSE I COULDN’T DRAW.
I also didn’t understand how clothes were made. All i knew was that I loved fashion design and style in a way that was beyond understanding. It was human, it was sacred. It moved, it lived, it breathed… it was about color, texture, craft and culture, people and life.
And now I’m a fashion designer, illustrator, author and professor at prestigious Parsons school of Design in NYC since 1997 and globally online.
HOW/ WHY/ WHEN I FOUNDED MY OWN PLATFORM ?
FOR LEARNING FASHION DESIGN ONLINE
WHEN I HAD MY YOUNGEST CHILD, I had a new boss who made me choose between my baby and my teaching career. Obviously, I chose to raise my child. I LOVE MY FAMILY AND HOME LIFE and my instinct told me to stay close to my kids, especially as a single mom. BUT IT FELT SO UNFAIR to be pulled out of the classroom. ( I was still teaching, but since I wasn’t full-time faculty anymore my schedule was severely reduced- which was a financial problem as well as a personal problem because) I MISSED TEACHING!
I had become a teacher when one of my former teachers became the head of the fashion design department and hired me. I fell into it by chance, but it had become WHAT I DO. I had developed a way of communicating with students to bring out their magic. I had developed ways to communicate that which they thought would be complicated and break it down into easy language and simple processes that made sense.
I took the best of my own education and work experience, as well as the worst of it, and used it to hone an approach to guiding, teaching and learning. And it was so deeply satisfying to go on this journey with students that it definitely felt like a “mistake” not to be doing it as much just because of the university. I could see the way the university was evolving and I wanted something better.
Something where every one has access, any time, from home.
Something where each student gets the care they need when they’re losing confidence. Something where students aren’t checking off boxes or slipping through the system without getting what they need to feel confident in their skills, SOMETHING WHERE MOMS AREN’T APOLOGIZING for not being able to make it to class because their child was sick, and then not being able to get the lesson they missed!
Freedom Fashion teaches college-level , expressive AND professional techniques and resources for fashion design sketching, illustration and design without promoting body distortion and giving you total freedom to explore at YOUR pace, access your teacher when you need, connect with like-minded yet diverse classmates in a cozy community, and learn everything you wanted to know to create fashion art and design with YOUR voice!
- Freedom Fashion Foundation Design 15 “week” self-paced semester: model drawing, gouache, design drawing, color, mood boards, fabrics, research, illustration, quick sketching)
- Model Magic Bootcamp- an innovative, liberating model drawing course that frees you to create more movement, dimension, expression and depth to your figure drawings. INcludes model drawing sketch session videos wtih music and 14 different exercises to get you seeing, drawing, and using art supplies in new ways! (You may want to start with this one to loosen up or come to it later!)
- Patternmaking Demystified- Patternmaking and Draping course demystifies how fashion garments are constructed, how patternmaking and 3-d draping on a form or even taking garment s you love become pattern pieces . This valuable course helps you create your own patterns, communicate with patternmakers, and build your vocabulary and creativity. You’ll learn the tools and techniques to talk about fashion garments like a pro.
- About Faces DIGITAL FASHION ILLUSTRATION course for iPad or digital device like android. Learn my top 3 Fashion recommended fashion Illustration Apps and how I use them to create vibrant, expressive fashion illustrations (they are $5 apps, don’t worry). ALSO you’ll learn them while focusing on faces, heads, hair, and features which can be challenging…. but ultimately so REWARDING when you practice !
- EVENINGWEAR design and illustration course: this course is a 5 part mini course. EAch one-hour lesson discusses how to render major special fabrics: sequins, feathers, sheer, satin, taffetta, lace, and more. ALSO we discuss and develop design sketches and look at construction, texture, highlight and shadow . Explore special fabrics and explore “special” occasion looks and dramatic detailing or silhouettes for your portfolio. ALSO this course features lessons in MARKERS, DIGITAL illustration apps, and gouache and pencils, so you can see how the principles apply to a range of materials
- Advanced- AUTUMN, KNITWEAR AND OUTERWEAR and winterwear collection course- add warm, cozy, thick and full-coverage looks for expanding your vision and portfolio with sketching quickly as well as illustrating collection. WHAT WILL YOU CREATE?Stay tuned for members-only live events, guest posts, masterclasses, portfolio review sessions, livestream pop-up courses and additional courses too! Meet other fashion creatives and share resources, insights, and inspirations in our TRIBE!Our private community is for members-only POSITIVE CREATIVES to encourage and support each other to be the very best they can be!Sroll down for testimonials. FAshion luminaries who have been my students included Lazaro Hernandez and Jack McCollough of Proenza Schouler, Tanya Taylor, Fernanda Yamamoto, Archana Rao, Pooja Shroff, MasterG Inda GAyatri Jolly, Ev Bessar, Tatiana Light, and so many more!
“To find a teacher in the arts who offers up everything they know and more, and whose sole purpose is to see you ‘fly’- … is extremely rare. Laura is one of those teachers. She set us up for success in so many ways. Generosity, creativity, and encouragement– plus a solid foundation in basic art– were all part of her teaching. I created some of my best work in her Fashion Drawing 1 class and still rely on many of the techniques. I consider myself extremely lucky to have been her student.” -J.Heloise, Fashion Designer, teacher, and Illustrator.
Who am I? Who are you? What is Freedom Fashion Program about?
FREEDOM FASHION ….
….means you are not restrained by unrealistic body proportions or other rules that don’t make sense.
…means you are supported and guided, not dictated to, to create and express your unique ideas and style.
…study on your lifestyle pace
….grow a body of work, sketches, collections, color illustrations (portfolio)
…evolve your style and your voice, try new materials and techniques to break out of your rut
… ask questions, give and get feedback in a private group
…means you get the benefit of my experience as a Fashion Designer, Fashion Design student, Fashion Author, and Professor of Fashion Design for 20 years at Parsons the New School for Design in NYC (I created their first online fashion studio course in 2008)
I’ve worked with hundreds of students and many of them beginners.
Is fashion calling you to become the artist and designer that you can be?… to find out what you have inside and bring it out on to paper, fabric?
I had no idea when I started my fashion studies that I was going to find that it was the artist and craftsman inside me that called me there.
Release your fears, hone your skills, get encouraged, MAKE ART and FASHION, find your voice, own your experience, take it forward.
You can learn about me via instagram, too!
Just scroll through!
Visit the website: FashionIllustrationTRIBE to download free tools right away, such as croquis templates, the “100 Fashion Designs” PDF ebook, “Sketching design details” 30 page PDF guidebook /workbook and model drawing video).
I teach vibrant, quality fashion design and illustration wtihout teaching distorted bodies. We are focused on positive creativity, growth, skill, and curosity. You see, when you have real art skills, you can create beautiful fashion art without relying on long legs or other gimmicks to make it look eye-catching or beautiful.
BUT OH, NOOOOO!
-You fear you can’t draw or paint, —–but you have so many beautiful and amazing ideas. (we go deep into art skills and model drawing, fabric rendering, collection design)
-You think you will absolutely bust if you wait one more day to finally take control and get the skills other creatives are learning in the best fashion schools.
-You are ready to tap into your love for art and fashion and design full-force.
-You want to explore art supplies and techniques in an entirely new way and see RESULTS!
– You want to know that you are learning things for a reason, in a specific order, for a specific outcome: to design and illustrate fashion with unique style, confidence and experience.
-You can’t wait to meet your unique ideas and expressions on paper, and learn what students in top fashion schools are learning, from your own home.
Working with me, you will learn to:
Sketch bodies/ models with fluidity and movement for all body types.
Work pencils, ink pens and gouache/ watercolors, experiment and gain experience. (right now you’ll get the digital illustration course also, for free as a BONUS)
Understand how to match fabric colors to paint colors for a smart portofolio.
Render fabric patterns, textures and prints with expression and accuracy.
Create and illustrate design stories for fashion careers or for the sheer pleasure of the ART of fashion.
Explore sketchbook techniques (quick sketches) as well as final illustrations.
Learn to discuss fabrics, styles, artwork and garment details.
Learn to talk about your process and point of view with other students/designers.
Develop your own style in a cozy creative positive community of fellow learners.
Create mood boards and fabric boards for different themes and occasions.
Quick sketch in your croquis book, edit, then illustrate your final choices
Basic fashion flats: designing individual pieces that work together to make a collection
Drawing gathers, pleats, collars, sleeves, closures, seams, stitching, and other fine details.
Putting together a portfolio that shows you off!
5 OTHER BONUSES: (right now, in addition to your 16 week semester course)
Evening wear course (add THAT to your portfolio)
Winter/autumn course (and add THAT collection to portfolio/sketchbook)
Knitwear course– knits have their own language and feel….(for your portfolio, of course)
Model Drawing intensive course MODEL MAGIC
Digital Fashion illustration tools using iPad or digital device
ongoing upgrades with new content every year !
Benefit from my 25+ years teaching at Parsons School of Design in NYC and work in the NYC Fashion Industry, as well as as a creative artist, homeschooling mom and musician who is passionate about expression, learning ,improvisation and development!
YOU HAVE UNLIMITED ACCESS to binge-watch videos and complete all the exercises and projects in a high energy mastermind group of other beginners who want to dive in with both feet and get their fashion drawing and design skills to the next level.
You’ll need wi-fi to access your course materials
In-class discussion areas and support from me.
feedback and encouragement from other students
You can ask and share at any time in the private class community.
IN THE MEANTIME,
Subscribe at FASHION ILLUSTRATION TRIBE to receive, TODAY, a series of first lessons and a downloadable PDF workbook for sketching design details in garments.
Every step of the way you are invited to share your comments and artwork in the discussion boxes where we can give and get feedback from our cozy classroom community!
The fashion illustration art supplies kit is not required but highly recommended. Check it out here! Purchase from the link, adjust items in the cart, or print and take to your local retailer.
Email Questions or substitutions:firstname.lastname@example.org
IN FREEDOM FASHION,
You’ll gain access to 16 core modules that all of the other courses revolve around and build upon(about an hour each of videos, plus lectures and resources links), and be guided every step to illustrating and designing your own first unique fashion collection, in watercolors, with an inspiration board, fabric swatches, and details!
Exercises, projects and demonstrations take you from beginner to……experienced and seasoned with confidence and style.
THESE ARE THE SAME LESSONS and processes I do with my Parsons students!
The lessons intentionally take you from beginner to deep, gradually, and making you feel at ease trying new ways to see and work with your eyes, hands, and art supplies.
YOU’LL BE GUIDED THROUGH LEARNING:
model drawing, straight and posed
sketch and customize your croquis for different body types, including your OWN
professional gouache watercolor techniques
color mixing/ color matching your paint to your swatches
rendering textures and prints to scale (making your illustration look like the fabric)
great art supplies and how you can use them
technical drawing- stitching, darts, gathers, etc….
creative feedback community, like- minded creatives!
mood boards- create some!
color palettes- create stories with color
fabric swatches- basic print design – create, create!
design sketchbook development- develop your ideas
quick sketching practice in your sketchbook
using shading to create 3-d form
designing an original group of clothes
illustrating your collection
presenting your sketches
ask questions! give and get feedback!